The most practical and useful leadership training you can choose
The Direct Leadership® Online Program gives you a recipe to perform in your day-to-day leadership in a way that is tangible to your organisation and fair to yourself.
After the course, you will be in a position to master the LEADERSHIP DELIVERABLES and assert yourself in relation to the people who report to you, to your peers and to your superiors.
The program will cover everything you need to implement a confident, hands-on day-to-day leadership no matter if your employees are blue- or white collar - or if they are geographically located around the globe.
On top of this we’ll teach you how to use the same model for conversations about leadership with peers or bosses.
Get started today and build the momentum you need to lead with clarity, consistency and effectiveness.
Only leaders who KNOW the LEADERSHIP DELIVERABLES succeed!
There are 4 skill sets involved in being a good leader:
- You must understand the context in which you operate
- You must have collaborative skills
- You must be authentic and trust inspiring
- You must master the leadership deliverables
Direct Leadership® Teaches You how to Master the Leadership Deliverables
With Direct Leadership® you will learn exactly what it involves to lead your employees. You will understand the 7 leadership roles that you must all know and pay attention to. You will understand that leadership is required whenever a leadership opportunity appears on your radar. And you will train the skills of the 4 styles – the skills that determine whether you master your entire leadership task and the expectations that come with the job.
A proven approach
There are 80 certified Direct Leadership® trainers all around the world and thousands of managers have gone through the Direct Leadership® course. So the Direct Leadership® model and methods are a proven approach and now it is also available in a fullly online version.
The program teaches that a leader must be like a radar. Always alert to catching the leadership opportunities when they occur.
With this mindset, leaders may interact with people either on the spot or at the earliest practical occasion and become what every employee requires: a visible, present guide who helps his/her team to succeed.
A step-by-step approach
No high-flying, abstract theories.
The 7 modules of this online course teach participants to tackle the day-to-day challenges of the leader with confidence and clarity.
And, of course, before we let you go, we show you how to implement your learning and how to assist other managers using Direct Leadership® as your vehicle.
The course comes with a workbook containing all the resources you need to get the full benefit of the course:
- Definitions of the elements of the leadership deliverables
- Training Exercises
Avoid Failure | Lead with Confidence
The videos of this fully online course teach you the essence of the leadership deliverables:
- How to identify a leadership opportunity?
- What are the 7 generic leadership roles?
- How to choose among the 4 contemporary leadership styles?
You will learn that Direct Leadership® is a mindset, a model and a method for tackling all your everyday leadership challenges. And you will get opportunity to practice and implement your learning.
Here's a breakdown of the entire program:
After a short introductory module you get 7 video training modules, that take you step-by-step through the course.
In the accompanying workbook, you get summaries, spaces for completing the various exercises throughout the course and templates for implementing your learning.
You can check out these templates immediately after you register, and get to work building your leadership skills right away.
The total duration of the video modules is 1hour and 20 minutes. But along the way we will frequently be asking you to pause the video and do some exercises, so you should expect to spend a minimum of 3,5 hours to complete the entire course.
This module will give you an orientation and a quick start.
The workbook is especially designed for this online course.
We want you to download and print it before you start module 1.
Module 1: Starting the Journey
This module is designed to give you an overview of the various components of the Direct Leadership model and method:
- leadership opportunities
- leadership deliverables
- the 7 roles of direct day-to-day leadership that must be encoded on your radar
- the 4 contemporary leadership styles that all leaders must master and choose between
Module 2: Leadership Opportunities and Roles
The module 2 video shows you:
- how the nature of everyday leadership depends on your readiness to catch the LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES.
- that there are 7 generic leadership roles =7 different sets of responsibilities to shoulder.
- that you must SELECT between these in order to communicate with clarity to your employees.
In fact, after this module, you may already take the first steps of implementing your learning and managing what people expect from you!
Module 3: Leadership Styles
In this video, you learn how to interact with people in the four distinctly different ways that:
- any leader in today's workplace must master
- you must use with different purposes
- will get you different results
- must be chosen according to your intention in a given moment
After this module you know all the individual components of the Direct Leadership model and are ready to combine and transform them into a mindset and a method that you apply on every leadership opportunity you come across.
Module 4: Combining Roles & Styles
In this short video you'll see exactly how the Direct Leadership Model turns into a Method and a Mindset, by which you may tackle the leadership opportunities when they occur.
The process is:
- CATCH ... the leadership opportunity
- SELECT ... the role perspective you wish to apply
- CHOOSE ... the relevant action style
Now you just need a bit of practice and then you are ready to implement the entire method and fundamentally change your leadership impact.
Module 5: Practice your skills
The saying "practice makes perfect" also applies to leadership methods.
In this video lesson you get opportunity to practice the CATCH - SELECT - CHOOSE process on a series of leadership opportunities, all of which:
- are authentic challenges that other managers before yourself have faced
- are typical day-to-day situations that you are likely to come across
- reflect the nature of direct everyday leadership
- must be tackled by you - the person with the direct leadership responsibility
Finally, you get to compare your choices with ours and notice how many matches you have.
Module 6: Implement & Take Control
The crucial step after learning a new skill is always to turn what you've learned from theory into practice.
Because Direct Leadership can make such an big difference to yourself and your employees, this course module guides you through a simple 5-step recipe for implementing the method right away:
- Introduce your standards
- Identify the current challenges
- Launch your plan
- Switch to "Operations Mode"
Module 7: Lead Together
The earlier modules taught you how to become a leader who is perceived as clear and consistent in your day-to-day interaction with staff.
Besides this, the Direct Leadership method also makes the conversation among leaders about leadership matters easier and more efficient.
- Maybe you're a member of a leadership team in need of discussing what needs to be encouraged in the entire staff
- Perhaps you're a leader of other leaders needing to coach a subordinate manager in conducting his job
- Or maybe you and a peer leader need to discuss how to organise a work process that involves employees from both of your teams
In all cases, a discussion centered on leadership deliverables is the most fruitful course of action.
This final module teaches you how to apply Direct Leadership as a language and a tool for that type of discussions.
“Direct Leadership proves to be a very practical, hands-on model that initiates our middle managers into the new positions that they are in as leaders. I belive that your training will help equip them with the thinking process and approaches which are needed in their daily activities when working with their team members as well as with other teams”
CEO Pinetree Senior Care Services Ltd. China
“To me Direct Leadership has been a very good tool to create clear expectations about leadership at different levels of my organization”
CEO of Danish Employment Insurance Company
“This was the most thought-provoking and fun simulation I have ever played in a management training course. ”
Retail Dealer Training, Xi’An, China.
Who is this program for?
The Direct Leadership Online Program is a practical approach that will benefit any leader of 3 or more "direct reports", whether they are:
- new to the leadership responsibility
- already experienced
- middle managers
- team leaders
- distance leaders
- project leaders (if the employee spends much time in the project)
- HR-professionals responsible for leadership training
- executives in need of strengthening the quality of everyday leadership in an entire organisation
Who is this program not for?
This program is not for you if:
- your title of leader or manager does not include having direct reports
- your title of project leader only gives you access to a small fraction of your project members' time
- you are looking for theoretical inspiration not an operational approach
- you are looking for a personal self-insight/self-development training
- you are not interested in people
Case study: Building Contractor in Denmark
In the construction industry a project duration can be years. In such cases there is no distinction between the responsibilities of a line manager and those of a project manager when it comes to leading the people who work on the project. Many professions must collaborate closely. Deadlines are tight. Day-to-day leadership is crucial. This was also the case for Danish building contractor Enemærke & Petersen a/s and the reason the company decided to send all of their 90 project and line managers trainers on a two-day Direct Leadership® workshop.
Course of Action
Klostergaard Coaching & Leadership, one of Direct Leadership Denmark's training partners was hired to conduct a series of two-day Direct Leadership workshops followed by 1:1 coaching sessions for app. 15 senior managers.
Short term: All project managers gained an invaluable understanding of the part of their jobs that involved directly leading their employees.
Both project and line managers expressed that the Direct Leadership® workshop had
- clarified their picture of the leadership deliverables
- made them more efficient leaders and
- made work with employees easier and reduced friction.
Long term: Upon completion of the entire program, the entire business saw an increase in the ability to meet project deadlines and a significant increase in employee satisfaction - particularly in questions relating to employee assessments of their immediate superiors.
Case Study: Scandinavian Employment Insurance Agency
Bente had taken over the role of CEO of an Employment Insurance Agency, that had for some time suffered an absence of professionalism in leadership and teamwork. After having built a new collaborative team spirit in the leadership team, it was time to look to all of the managers and create a common understanding of what the job requirements of leading people implied.
Course of Action
To do this Bente asked the OneLife Consulting group to deliver a Direct Leadership program to every manager of the organization. This took place in the shape of a two-day program followed by 1:1 coaching sessions for each participant delivered by the HR-manager, who had meanwhile become a certified Direct Leadership™ trainer.
In Bente’s own words: The strength of the Direct Leadership is, that it looks at the world from the leader’s day-to-day perspective and takes a practical, pragmatic approach to the job of leading others. The roles provide a good overview of the many-facetted challenges and the four styles show how to take different approaches depending on the situation. To me Direct Leadership has been a very good tool to create clear expectations about leadership at different levels of my organization. / Bente B., Former CEO of a Danish Employment Insurance Company.